From the back of an old Ambulance in Fishers to a now thriving business in the Flagship Enterprise business park, Coeus Technology is quickly becoming an icon in Madison County.
By Kyle Morey, Madison County Chamber
Nate Richardson and the Coeus Team by Dale Pickett Photography
Plans to hire 16 employees over the next four years--with an average hourly wage of $15 and payroll of about $400,000 per year--a steady growth pattern for the past four years, and a strong commitment to this community, earns Coeus Technology the nomination for the 2012 Emerging Business of the Year award.
President and managing partner, Nate Richardson, shares some insights on growth, people and vision in the following interview with Madison County Chamber’s CEO, Kyle Morey.
Morey: What year was your company founded?
Morey: What are the primary products/services of your company?
Richardson: Advanced manufacturing and Research and Development of Antimicrobial technologies
Morey: Why did you choose this industry?
Richardson: Coeus was started and continues to be based on the premise of let’s get ready for tomorrow today. It creates a long-term destination for our business and provides us with a map for winning together with our partners. On a vision to create a product which could revolutionize the way people view how products, people, and spaces are protected against harmful microbes, we created MonoFoil Antimicrobial.
Morey: What is your company vision?
Richardson: Our vision serves as the framework for our Mission and guides every aspect of our business by describing what we need to accomplish in order to continue achieving sustainable, quality growth.
- People: Always a great place to work where people are inspired to be the best they can be.
- Portfolio: Provide the world a portfolio of quality antimicrobial products that accelerate paradigm shifts.
- Partners: Nurture a winning network of customers and suppliers, together we create mutual, enduring value.
- Profit: Maximize long-term return to owners while being mindful of our overall responsibilities to our corporate culture.
- Productivity: Effectiveness always validated by a lean and fast-moving organization with an extremely robust pipeline.
Morey: What are the greatest challenges of your work?
Richardson: Education of the customer in a space that has been dominated by “old school” technologies.
Morey: What was your greatest achievement as a company in 2012?
Richardson: Full expansion into Accelerator 2. A great acceleration of our marketing reach into some of the larger markets. Being granted a story on Fox News National.
Morey: What are your company goals for 2013?
Richardson: Full implementation of our manufacturing lines. Hiring of additional workers. “Full court press” into the advertising and marketing of MonoFoil on a National stage.
Morey: What would be your ideal vision of your company in 2025?
Richardson: We are a global source for antimicrobial/disinfectant solutions. Bigger than Clorox or P&G.
Richardson: We have a great relationship with the city as well as the Flagship. The I69 corridor is rapidly expanding and we are centrally located and perfect for our type of business.
Morey: What is one interesting fact about your company (or company president) that most people don't know?
Richardson: I started Coeus as a one man show. When Dave came on board our office was the back of an old ambulance or the Fishers Public library.
Morey: What single word best describes the culture or attitude of your company?
Richardson: Our values serve as a compass for our attitudes and actions that illustrate how we behave in the world:
- Leadership: Courage to shape a better future
- Collaboration: Leverage collective genius
- Integrity: Genuine and sincere execution in our immediate follow through
- Accountability: Responsibility rolls up hill. If it is to be, it’s up to me
- Passion: Committed to God, family and work in heart, mind and soul… In that order.
- Diversity: Inclusive as our brands and the pipeline of new products that we possess
- Quality: What we do, we do best
Morey: Mac or PC in your company?
Morey: What do you and/or your staff donate time to?
Richardson: Church activities and veterans causes.
Coeus Technology, along with Home Instead Senior Care and Gray's Design Studio, will be honored as a finalist and possible winner of the 2012 Emerging Business of the Year award. Winners of this award, as well as the Small Business of the Year and Non-Profit of the Year, will be announced at the Madison County Chamber's Annual Awards Gala held on February 28, 2013 from 6 to 9 pm at the Paramount Theatre in downtown Anderson. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling Betsy at 765-642-0264.